Skin cancer in the past couple of years reaches the top of the list of diseases that cause death. Particularly it is a matter of malignant melanoma, as the most dangerous type of skin cancer. Every year, the lives of more than 10.000 Americans depend on this type of cancer.
If you take measures for active protection from sunburn, we can say that you have reduced the possibility for emergence of malignant melanoma.
What Causes Skin Cancer?
The dominant factor for the development of skin cancer, and particularly of malignant melanoma, in addition to the hereditary factor, may also be the excessive exposure to UV rays. In order to protect yourself from the direct influence of the sunlight, you should take the following steps:
- Avoid direct sun exposure in the period from 10am to 4 pm. In this period of the day, the effect of the UV rays is greatest. Have in mind that sand, water surfaces or snow may have the effect of a bomb in regard to the reflection of sunlight.
- Wear light clothing, if possible with long sleeves and long pants, and wear a hat that will protect your nose, neck and ears. Also make sure the clothes you wear are in dark colors, which offers more protection.
- Use naturally based sunscreen. Before sunbathing, protect yourself with natural cream with high UV factor. The higher the SPF, the more protected you are from sunburns. You can try some of these oils:
- Almond Oil – SPF 5
- Coconut Oil – SPF 4-6
- Red Raspberry Seed Oil – SPF 25-50
- Carrot Seed Oil – SPF 35-40
- Shea Butter – SPF 4-6
- Use glasses which block the UV rays. It doesn’t mean that glasses with dark glass will provide protection. You must use glasses which have special lens, which provide absorption of UV rays of 99% – 100%.
- Stay away from tanning beds. They are also a source of UV radiation and direct cause for skin cancer. It is really nice to get dark tan during winter in short-term, but in long-term you are exposed to danger of skin cancer.
By adhering to these 5 points, you will significantly reduce the possibility for emergence of skin cancer, particularly malignant melanoma. Of course, live healthy lifestyle which provides you to enjoy in all the benefits from the proper exposure to sun rays.
Another step in the prevention from skin cancer consequences is the routine examination by a doctor – specialist. If a malignant melanoma is detected in early stage, the chances for its treatment are much greater.